475 Melville, Palo Alto, CA 94301$5,900,000
Beautiful Craftsman nestled on one of Professorville’s most sought after blocks. Large homes surrounded by mature trees sit blocks away from Downtown Palo Alto,Town & Country Mall and Stanford University and Caltrain. Five bedrooms and five and a half bathrooms spread across three stories, where classic and historic details, such as built-in redwood bookshelves and rounded plaster ceilings combine with a modern day amenities. An expansive front porch welcomes visitors to this gem.
With an intuitive layout amongst the main level’s living spaces as well as the upstairs bedrooms, life flows comfortably. Entertain in the rich environs of the formal living and dining rooms, where large paned windows let in natural light to highlight the quartersawn oak floors and historical built-ins. A powder room with pedestal sink and large mirror sits conveniently between the living room and kitchen. A wood-burning fireplace sits under a Craftsman mantel for cold days, though the house also has air conditioning for warm days. Or throw open the wide double doors to sit with guests in the quiet, spacious garden, surrounded by tall hedging where you can pluck a ripe calamansi to squeeze into sparkling water.
Accessing the backyard from a pergola-covered patio, the kitchen is the heart of the home, a delight for chefs of all stripes. High-end appliances, like the Sub-Zero paneled refrigerator and Thermador oven with warming drawer, make preparing food a breeze. Guests will watch you work while seated at the eat-in butcher block island with prep sink. Spend mornings sipping coffee from the built-in Miele coffee-maker in the breakfast nook surrounded by tall windows.
Radiating from a second story landing, four bedrooms, including the Master Suite, each enjoy their own bathroom and spacious closets. The Master’s lengthy walk-in closet can double as a hidden office and houses a wall of windows as well as a built-in desk. Upstairs, a third floor ensuite bedroom boasts its own vaulted sitting room for quintessential lounging. Additional air conditioning units allow for third floor comfort.
A one-car garage shares a footprint with a separate office, perfect for working from home with its vaulted ceilings and skylights as well as built-in shelving, desk and storage. Additional storage in a generous basement boasts an extra refrigerator, a game room and a room ideal for storing wine bottles.
This 3,695 square foot home features:
- 5 bedrooms / 5.5 bathrooms over 3 stories plus basement.
- Historic Palo Alto home situated on a tony Professorville corner walkable to Downtown Palo Alto, Town & Country, Stanford University and Caltrain.
- Craftsman home boasts original detailing such as an ample porch, quartersawn oak floors, paned windows and redwood walls and built-ins.
- Original quartersawn oak floors.
- The home’s rich history is apparent from the lush front entry leading into the spacious living room with its tall rounded ceiling, paned wood windows and a wood-burning fireplace graciously anchoring the space.
- Centered around the eat-in butcher block island with prep sink, the kitchen’s rich wood cabinetry and blue tile counters perfectly embody the home’s aesthetic while also featuring top-of-the-line appliances such as the built-in Miele coffee maker, Sub-Zero paneled refrigerator and Bosch dishwasher.
- Keep those dinners warm for stragglers in the Thermador warming drawer, built-in alongside the Thermador oven and microwave, or on the warming shelf above the 5-burner range.
- A tall breakfast nook with broad picture windows and built-in redwood shelving opens onto a patio picturesquely covered by a pergola.
- Formal dinners in the dining room will wow guests with original built-ins and a coffered ceiling. Four ensuite bedrooms on the 2nd floor, including a master with long walk-in closet/office, benefit from an abundance of natural light.
- Laundry and sizable linen closet conveniently near bedrooms.
- Escape to the third floor for a private respite with delightful views from large, bright windows in the bedroom, full bath and sitting room.
- Air conditioning throughout home with extra A/C units on top floor.
- Backyard sanctuary surrounded by hedging, citrus and camelia trees with multiple entertaining patios and a wisteria-covered pergola.
- One car garage shared with outside office which boasts vaulted ceilings, skylights and built-in desk/shelving.
- Lower level game room perfect for late nights, as well as extra storage and possible wine cellar.
- Integrated solar panels and solar water heating panels.
- Historic Gamble Gardens, a peaceful rose garden with meandering paths, is an easy amble away as is Rinconada Park and its famous family-friendly pool.
- Sought after Palo Alto schools.
Property Type Residential
Property Status: Sold
475 Melville, Palo Alto, CA 94301
Interested In This Property?
Owning a home is a great investment and it is key to plan your mortgage payments ahead of time. Calculate for your monthly mortgage using our free calculator below.